British American Tobacco has published its 2019 sustainability report.
The Sustainability Report is complemented by an online ESG report that provides detailed information about BAT’s policies, management approach, performance and targets for all its ESG priorities.The also follows the firm’s announcement of increased ESG targets. The report’s highlights include:
- Increasing BAT consumers of non-combustible products to 50 million by 2030;
- Achieving carbon neutrality by 2030 and accelerating our existing environmental targets by 2025;
- Eliminating unnecessary single-use plastic and making all plastic packaging recyclable by 2025:
Excellence in Environmental Management:
- 9.5% reduction in direct CO2e from 2017 baseline and aiming to be carbon neutral by 2030
- 13.1% reduction in water withdrawals from our 2017 baseline and aiming to reduce by 35% by 2025
- 1,000 tonnes of CO2 equivalent saved annually by removing silicon caps from Vype e-liquid pods
- 99% of wood fuel used by our contracted farmers for curing was from sustainable sources in 2019
Delivering a Positive Social Impact:
- 5,000+ human rights training sessions for farmers in our tobacco leaf supply chain in 2019
- 12-20% increase in tobacco crop yields as a result of our new seed varieties covering 57% of our 2019 volumes from contracted farmers
- 18% reduction in total accidents to employees and contractors in 2019
- 82% employee engagement score in our 2019 ‘Your Voice’ survey, 7% higher than the FMCG comparator group.
- £46.1m invested in community projects and charitable donations in the last three years.
- Female representation in senior management has more than doubled since 2012, from 11% to 23% in 2019, and women represent 37% of all management roles globally.
- Our global B United network provides a forum for our LGBT+ employees.
Robust Corporate Governance:
- 100% employees completed our Standards of Business Conduct and formal compliance sign-off procedures in 2019
- Updated our International Marketing Principles to reflect developments in marketing, technology and our product portfolio
- 100% compliance with our Youth Access Prevention Guidelines